I find random scraps of paper all over the house with parts of songs written on them. Today I found one on the bathroom counter. Sometimes they are in the pockets of her jeans, or under her pillow. I love that when she gets an idea she just scribbles it down really quick so she doesn't forgot what she wants to say, but then, she forgets the scraps of paper.
So, I have become a collector of scraps of paper that are very special to me. I truly believe Sunny has been given a great gift in the ability she has to put her thoughts to paper and to write poems and songs. I hope that one day I will be able to turn this blog into a book, so that when she is older she will always have a record of the things she has written.
So, without further ado...her are some poems/writings/half songs written by Miss Sunny Mae:
That's My Thing
I want to hear that familiar beat playing inside my head.
I want to do the things I do, cause that's my thing.
That's my thing
I do, I do.
The Fourth Day
You're walking home alone, just like you always would
And then it's the fourth day coming back
I'm so sad I had to leave you there
All those other nights, you were mine
I'm walking home alone like I would and how you knew I would.
So, it's the fourth day and you're walking home alone
I don't have to be who I was anymore.
So, it's the fourth day.
I'm so glad that I came to see you,
But now it's the fourth day and I'm not coming back.
Oh, how I wish I could stay.
So, it's the fourth day and you're walking home alone
I don't have to be who I was anymore
It's the fourth day and I don't have to be who I was anymore
I don't have to be who I was anymore
Yeah, yeah, yeah
Party
Oh, oh,oh,oh
Party, it's time to party
Party, party, party.
You can figure it out now.
Let's get this started now.
It's time to P-A-R-T-Y now
It's time to get this S-T-A-R-T-E-D now
Now, now, oh , oh, now, now, now
Now that you've heard what we're gonna do
It's time to party now
It's time to P-A-R-T-Y now
It's time to get this S-T-A-R-T-E-D now
Now, now, oh , oh, now, now, now
One of my favorite things about Sunny's songs is watching her writing develop and grow. I notice a lot in her songs that she will switch who she is talking about. For instance, she will start out a song talking about "you" and then the chorus will be "I". Or, she will switch present/past tense throughout a song. Sometimes, I write her songs just as they are. Other times, she and I sit together when I type them out and I will question her as we go. I try to find out what she is trying to say and who the song is really about. Then I am able to edit the songs for her a little bit.
I think she write this way 1. because she is 8 (obviously), but 2. because she is mimicking the style of Taylor Swift and it is clearly a bit over her head.
I love to see her try though and I can see so much growth in her writing skills. I also sometimes pick up a scrap of paper and realize it correlates to an event that happened in Sunny's life. For example. I think, "I'm Ready to Try" (which I will post next) is about the jog-a-thon that she was in at school. She was very nervous about doing it and she didn't know if she could run that far (turns out she did great and can fun that far and much more :) So, I think she combined how she felt about that experience with some boy/love stuff that she gets from Taylor Swift.
I love the little insights I am able to gain into Sunny's mind through her writing.
No comments:
Post a Comment