Ruling the World
By: Sunny Blair
September 2012
I'm ruling the world now,
Can't you see?
I'm not afraid anymore
If you try, you won't be afraid anymore
So just try again.
You can say that you can't,
But you can!
You can say that you can't,
But you can!
So let's try
I'm ruling the world now,
Can't you see?
This is my favorite thing Sunny has written, because I know exactly where it came from and why she wrote it. I'll try to explain the story without giving anyway anything too private for Sunny. Back in September, Sunny began struggling very badly with anxiety and having panic attacks. She had to drop out of dance and it became a nightmare to get her to go to school. We tried everything we could think of, but it seemed like nothing helped. I am lucky enough to have two friends who are family therapists and was able to get some advice from them. One of the suggestions was to have her draw/write down what she was feeling when she started to have a panic attack.
I told Sunny what to do and gave her a special notebook to write in. This poem was the only thing written in the book, and shortly after she was able to find a way to control her anxiety and has done much better with the whole situation.
I love that she was able to express herself through writing and I love them glimpse into her world that I was able to see.
No comments:
Post a Comment